If you are looking forward to settle in Sihanoukville, here are some tips to help you land a job there.
Sihanoukville, one of the major Cambodian cities, is very welcoming towards foreigners, located at 250 km from Phnom Penh. Indeed, it is above all deemed to be a tourist city thanks to its infrastructure and many facilities that are available there. Sihanoukville is also very open towards foreign professionals seeking opportunities in the country. Hence, you should not have much trouble in finding a job there, provided you have the qualifications and skills that are not available locally.
Therefore, take the time to inquire on its labor market's requirements so as to determine whether or not you will fit in.
Sihanoukville is full of opportunities, both in terms of employment and investment. Moreover, national authorities have put their hopes on the city's main economic pillars, namely tourism and international offshore finance. The following are some of its assets:
- the country's only deep water seaport
- its special economic zone, the Sihanoukville Special Economic Zone (SSEZ)
- the Industrial Zone which is found in the Stenghav District, Kampong Sela district and in the municipality of Sihanoukville) along the National Road No. 4,
- its transport infrastructure enabling the smooth running of national and international business activities: particularly the National Highway No. 4 which connects Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville, the southern line railway, waterways, including the Sihanoukville international seaport)
- the Keng Kang International Airport
- tourism resources as beaches and white sand islands, the national park, natural and cultural spaces,
- abundant natural resources,
- incentives for investment.
If you are bilingual, you are more likely to be hired in the tourism field. Note that Sihanoukville hosts some 46 hotels and 116 guest houses, bars, restaurants, etc. Eco-tourism is also a very promising sector, just like English teaching. However, there are less job offers than in Phnom Penh and wages offered are relatively lower.
Moreover, many NGOs that are involved in child protection are based in Sihanoukville. You can try your luck if you are interested in volunteering. In the Victory Hill region, Russian professionals can probably assist you.
Find a job
If you are not yet in the country, you can start by browsing job offers on the Internet thanks to numerous job websites and professional social networks. Otherwise, consider identifying a few local companies to which you can send spontaneous job applications.
Expat.com – Jobs in Sihanoukville
Expat.com – Work in Sihanoukville Forum
Cambodia Investment www.cambodiainvestment.gov.kh
Sihanoukville Special Economic Zone (SSEZ) www.ssez.com
Jobs, Work, Employment, Staff Sihanoukville www.facebook.com/pages/Jobs-Work-Employment-Staff-Sihanoukville