Student visa for Mauritius


The student visa allows eligible non-Mauritian citizens to enter and live in Mauritius for full-time or part-time studies at a tertiary education institution accredited by the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC), or at an institution accredited by the Mauritius Institute of Training and Development (MITD).

The institution must be registered with the Mauritius Qualifications Authority (MQA). Students can also take part in a practical training course as part of their higher education.


To be eligible for a student visa, the international student must:

  • be enrolled in one or more programmes in a MITD accredited institution study on a full-time basis specific modules for one or two semesters


  • study a course on a full-time basis leading to a certificate or diploma for at least one academic year


  • be enrolled in an accredited institution to start a full-time or part-time course at undergraduate level


  • be enrolled in an accredited institution to start a full-time or part-time course at post-graduate level (Masters, Doctorate, etc.)


  • be a non-Mauritian citizen who conducts postdoctoral research


  • come to Mauritius on an exchange programme with a recognised tertiary educational institution for no more than one year

Student Visa Application

The visa application must be made by the education institution that will host the student, and it will be processed by the Passport and Immigration Office (PIO). Where there is a practical training course which is part of higher education studies, the visa application could also be made directly by the student/trainee.

The application should include the following documents:

  • An application form duly completed and signed by the student
  • two recent passport-sized photos of the student
  • A copy of the student’s passport (bio-data page)
  • Original acceptance letter sent by the institution to the student
  • Details of the duration of the courses in question, and whether these will be on a full-time or part-time basis
  • Evidence of funds or financial capacity of the student to meet the costs of study and stay in Mauritius
  • A medical certificate stating that the student does not suffer from any contagious or infectious disease.

The applicant will have to be tested for HIV and Hepatitis B, and get a chest X-ray once in Mauritius. The chest X-ray report must be presented to the PIO within the first month of the student’s arrival.

 Useful links:

Passport and Immigration Office
Tertiary Education Commission

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.
Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
Write a comment

See also

Foreign professionals looking to work in Mauritius have to obtain a work permit. Here's how to apply for a work permit for Mauritius.
Investors, paid professionals and self-employed individuals need an Occupation Permit to settle and work in Mauritius. Here's how to obtain it.
Mauritius is a popular retirement haven for expatriates from all around the world. Here's how to obtain a resident permit to retire in Mauritius.
Public holidays are usually the days when you will get to discover more about your host country. Here is a list of public holidays in Mauritius.

Would you like to live in Mauritius?

Find useful information in our expatriate guide.